"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut. I now pretend to be an author. Let's see how it goes.

10 July 2009

Back at Page One

So I seem to be back at page one, literally. I am trying to rewrite Caryatid now. I'm not having much luck. It hurts to write it. It hurts, and I don't know how to deal with the pain. Writing about Mark as a living, breathing, fallible human being is so... different, after these past few years. I don't know if I know him anymore. I seem to be clinging to the memory of him, not the real him. Kind of like Ralph, which figures, really. Anyhow, the rewrite (take three, actually) is going slowly. I am working on the flow, first and foremost, because that has always been my weakness. Or my primary foible. Ha. The voice is smoother, too, I think. It's deeper, as well. I use more words where they're needed. It is a slow and grueling process. I don't know if I'll ever actually get through it. Oh well.

I decided to rename most of the chapters in book one, too. The names were too... boring. I am now amused. Here are the changes:

Prologue. Once Upon a Time
1. San Francisco -- TBD after rewrite
2. The Sieve -- The Truth in the Sieve
3. Color -- TBD after a much-needed rewrite
4. The Kitchen Cabinet -- Ants in the Kitchen Cabinet
5. Hong Kong -- Ten Questions
6. Catalyst -- Crimson Catalysts
7. Secession -- A Shakespearean Comedy
8. Dualism -- Everything in Nothing
9. Scraps of Paper
10. The Trinity
11. Sandbox -- The Menagerie in the Box
12. The Loneliest Job
13. The Roundness of History
Epilogue. Inauguration Day

No comments: