"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut. I now pretend to be an author. Let's see how it goes.

12 November 2007

Beginnings


And so it begins. I have officially decided that my writing warrants a blog of its own. It is time I tell the world what I write, for it is quite a burden to carry wholly on my tired shoulders. When I was still young and innocent, I explained myself with the normal tired excuses:
Sharing your writing can be a menacing prospect—rather like how I should expect jumping off a cliff to feel. I have always been what one might call a closet writer—I seldom share my work more than is required. I am always filled with that itching sense of self-doubt, which causes me to worry how good my writing is, if it is any good at all. I used to think that a fear of criticism was the reason I withheld my writing from my family and everyone else...
But I can no longer use those excuses in good faith. I am neither young nor innocent any more. And after all, it was also I who wrote:
Rereading these Principles, I see flashing that America and freeman alike need men and women who will stand up for these fine Principles without Fear... Thus today I recommit myself , without Fear, to this fine task of ensuring that my Principles, as well as the Principles of this great country and of all freemen, do not perish. I recommit myself, body and soul, to these, and to these I will hold.
And so I begin; now I take up the author's burden.

No comments: