"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut. I now pretend to be an author. Let's see how it goes.

28 December 2008

Before the Ball Drops

It would seem to me that it is almost 2009. When it was almost 2008, I publicly pledged to write two new chapters for the first book. When it was almost 2007, I pledged, not publicly, to finish part one of the then only book. It seems fitting, thus, that I should set myself another wholly impractical goal, seeing as the aforementioned were both accomplished.

Therefore, I hereby solemnly swear that I shall finish Part I of my second book, The Calmness of Martyrs, by 6:00 am on the First of January 2009. (Last year I finished around 4 am, if I do recall.) If I am to accomplish this goal, I have quite a bit of work to do. I must finish chapters 1 and 2 today, I suppose, and then write one chapter a day. That is a rather brisker pace than I am used to, considering I have done so little with this book.

It is my intention to entitle Part I Cosmos and Part II Chaos. I think Carl Sagan would be pleased. I would quote him at the beginning of the section; however, I quote Sagan much too much. Thus I will quote Will Durant: "Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty, and dies with chaos."

But I should really get to writing if I want to accomplish my goal for the third year in a row. Good luck, self.

No comments: