"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut. I now pretend to be an author. Let's see how it goes.

18 June 2008

Eve's Song



Ignorance is bliss,
The songbirds chirped;
And in blind bliss she lived
Until one day a green gleam stole her gaze
And she cried, Oh, I  want to know.

For knowledge what will you give?
The snake slithered down;
And in timid naivety she approached
Eying the shimmering, forbidden orb
And she cried, Oh, I want to know.

You and your posterity shall know Death!
The Lord roared from above;
And her teeth pierced the tender flesh
As God's wrath rained down upon her
And she cried, Oh, I want to know.

Woman, you have ruined us,
Adam screamed to her;
And she descended Eden with a knowing smile
Seeing the many orchards of sweet fruit below
And she cried, Oh, I want to know.

And know I shall,
She solemnly pledged to herself;
And beginning the most sacred of quests
She freed another apple from the nearest tree
And she cried, Oh, I want to know.

No comments: